What to Expect Before and After Microneedling Q&A
Microneedling is a non-invasive process that can improve the look of your skin. If you have acne scars or other skin concerns and are considering microneedling, speak with our healthcare practitioner to schedule a consultation. Our skin experts, Dr. Juan Ivan Ramirez, MD, and his staff at Glo Med Spa & Wellness, will examine your skin, explain your concerns, and help you decide whether the treatment is right for you. For more information, contact us or schedule an appointment online. We are conveniently located at 9801 Anderson Mill Rd, Suite 120, Austin, TX 78750.
Table of Contents:
Adequately preparing for your microneedling session is essential to maximizing positive results and reducing the risk of complications. Some things to avoid before your microneedling session include:
● Excessive UV ray exposure – Avoid excessive time in the sun and tanning beds at least a week before your treatment. Tanned or sunburned skin is more sensitive and can experience an adverse reaction during microneedling.
● Exfoliation – Aggressive scrubbing is not recommended in the days leading up to microneedling. This is because over-exfoliation can compromise the skin’s barrier function and increase sensitivity.
● Topical treatments – Do not use retinoids, alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs), beta hydroxy acids (BHAs), or other strong products for at least a week prior to the procedure. These products can increase the risk of skin irritation from your treatment.
● Blood-thinning medications – If you’re taking blood-thinning medications, we recommend you consult your doctor before the procedure, as certain blood thinners can increase the risk of bruising and bleeding during microneedling.
● Other cosmetic procedures – Laser treatments, chemical peels, or other cosmetic procedures should not be performed on the treatment area in the weeks leading up to your appointment, as these can affect the skin’s integrity.
After your microneedling session, proper aftercare is crucial to achieving the best results and minimizing potential side effects. It’s recommended you avoid the following:
● Touching or picking the treated area – Your skin is healing, so transferring bacteria to the treated area with your hands can lead to infection and scarring.
● Sun exposure – We urge you to protect your skin from direct sunlight after the procedure. If you must be outdoors, use sunscreen and wear protective clothing.
● Makeup and products – Avoid applying makeup to the treated area for at least 24 hours. We highly recommend you use gentle, non-clogging skincare products. Please wait to use stronger skincare products such as retinoids and alcohol-based toners until your skin fully heals.
● Swimming – Stay away from swimming pools, hot tubs, and other bodies of water for a few days to reduce the risk of infection.
● Hot showers and saunas – Steer clear of hot showers, saunas, and steam rooms for the first 48 hours after your appointment. Heat can heighten swelling and increase irritation.
● Strenuous exercise – Intense physical activities cause sweating, which can introduce bacteria to the treated area.
To achieve the best results from your microneedling treatment, there are several steps you can take:
● Sun protection – It’s crucial to protect your skin from the sun’s harmful rays by wearing sunscreen daily. This will prevent hyperpigmentation and damage to the treated area.
● Hydration – We encourage you to keep your skin well-hydrated by drinking plenty of water and using a gentle moisturizer after the treatment.
● Gentle skincare – Use mild, non-irritating skincare products in the weeks following your treatment. Skip the strong exfoliants and retinoids until your skin has fully recovered.
● Patience – Microneedling triggers collagen production, which takes time. Results usually become fully apparent a few weeks after the treatment and continue to improve over the following months.
● Consistency – For the best outcomes, consider a series of microneedling sessions spaced a few weeks apart. Your skincare professional can recommend the optimal frequency based on your skin’s unique needs.
After microneedling, you will experience various stages throughout the healing process:
1. Immediate reaction – Right after your treatment, your skin will appear red and flushed, similar to a sunburn. This is a normal and temporary reaction to the microneedling process.
2. Recovery – Over the following days, the redness and any discomfort will gradually subside. You may notice some dryness and peeling as your skin starts to heal.
3. Collagen and elastin production – About two weeks after your appointment, your skin’s natural healing mechanisms will fully kick in.
4. Visible enhancements – By the third or fourth week, you will notice improvements in your skin’s texture, tone, and the prominence of fine lines and scars. These results will continue to develop in the months to come.
5. Long-term benefits – Months after the procedure, the increase in collagen and elastin will continue to benefit your skin’s appearance.
To learn more about microneedling, visit us at Glo Med Spa & Wellness. We are conveniently located at 9801 Anderson Mill Rd, Suite 120, Austin, TX 78750. For more information, contact us or book an appointment online. We serve clients from Austin TX, Cedar Park TX, Volente TX, Pflugerville TX, Round Rock TX, Leander TX, Volente TX, Brushy Creek TX, and Williamson County TX.
Additional Services You May Like
- IPL Photofacials
- PDO Thread Lift
- RF Microneedling
- Vampire Facial
- Skin Resurfacing
- Dermal Fillers
- Lip Augmentation
- Thread Lift
- Skin Tightening
- Forever Ageless Photofacial
- Venus Viva Nanofractional Laser
- Microneedling Hair
- Laser Hair Removal
- Melasma Treatment
- Pico Laser